Friday, November 27, 2009

Holiday Ramble

Thanksgiving is a holiday that I am conflicted about. I love the idea of taking time out of our busy schedules to think about what we have in our lives that we can truly be thankful for. I think people should do this more often - myself included. I am a lucky woman to have the life that I do, and I try to appreciate it whenever I am feeling down or stressed or irritated. It doesn't always work, but it does put things into perspective.
I like the big meal with family, too, but this is what I am conflicted about. I love seeing my family. This year my great grandfather had dinner with us - 5 generations in one room. It was spectacular. He's going to be 97 in December, and every chance he has to see my kids is special for everyone. The part about the meal that I feel conflicted about is the permission to gorge that we grant ourselves. Struggling constantly with my own food issues and weight battle has made me very conscious of the growing problem of obesity in America - alongside the hordes of people who are starving. As we enter into the Christmas season, we should think about giving back, sharing our food and our love. Being with loved ones should be enough. We shouldn't have to binge drink and eat to enjoy ourselves, and we should think about the people who don't have enough. There are more and more of them. This is what I am going to try to do.
My husband and I are starting a month of healthy living. We're going to eat right, exercise, try to be more positive in our thoughts and actions, and abstain from our vices. It seems like the most difficult time to do it with all of the holiday goodies that will soon abound. I think it will improve us physically and emotionally. Hopefully, our good vibes will spread to everyone around us, and make the holiday season that much brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment