Sunday, September 15, 2013

Fish Sticks Is Cast!

The challenge: turning a script for 11 females and 2 males into a show using 6 females.

I think I have a cast list for my middle school show. Casting is the hardest part. I'd like to say that I have a process that I use every time, but I don't. I like to cast based on my gut reaction. Of course the limited number of students contributes to the casting as well. Parts are doubled, sometimes tripled. There is nothing easy about middle school theater - especially in a small school.

Casting is also affected by my whims. Sometimes I want to challenge a student and give them something that is just a little bit out of their comfort zone. Part of me definitely enjoys teaching theater. I know some people think it's just an after school program, but I like to think the kids learn something from the experience.

I'm pretty happy with the way I cast this show. I changed a couple parts to accommodate my all-female cast, and I think it's going to be good. I'm feeling a lot more relaxed now that the hardest part is over. I have my cast. Now it's time to rehearse. This part I do have a process for, though it is loosely structured and changes based on the show and the students.

The show, Don't Eat The Fish Sticks, is pretty funny. I think the students will like it. I'm excited for the read-through tomorrow. I always feel a little nervous when I start a new show. The students have to like a script, or it will not be fun. And, fun is the most important part of this whole process.

Have I mentioned I love my job?

No comments:

Post a Comment